Monday, March 8, 2010
Sunday, March 7, 2010
10 Ways to save money
1. 1. Pack a lunch - the minute I leave the house my kids are hungry. So to eliminate this I try to always pack lots of healthy snacks and drinks. Don’t forget to pack something for mom and dad as well J
2. 2. Do not buy from a vending machine – the mark up on vending machine food is HUGE!
3. 3.Pay with cash- leave your credit cards and debits at home. You can’t over spend if you don’t have the money and you are unlikely to go back to the store for something you don’t actually need.
4. 4.Carry reusable shopping bags in your vehicle
5. 5. Shop second hand – I LOVE consignment stores. They usually only sell brand names and in excellent condition if not new. My favourite things to buy second hand are kids clothes, robeez, hockey equipment and toys
6. 6. Keep a couple birthday gifts stored away for future kid’s parties – I just bought $20.00 board games for $3 on sale. I bought a bunch and put them away. Now a birthday party will only cost me $3
7. 7. Shop liquidation- I shop at liquidation world a lot for things like gift bags ( which are $0.50 instead of $1.00 plus) party favours, holiday decorations, books etc
8. 8. Shop at end of Season- Every year I go shopping after Christmas when stuff is 75% off. That is the time that I buy the next years teachers and coaches gifts. Any needed decorations for the next year. Wrapping paper, tags and bows. I also try to find solid color gift bags and wrapping paper, I buy it to use for birthday presents during the year.
9. 9.Stockpile- I have a closet in my spare room that is full of shampoo, soap, tooth paste, cleaners, Ziplock bags, birthday gifts etc. I fill it with items I either get on sale or for FREE using my coupons. Then I never have to buy anything at full price.
10. 10.Use coupons- Check out THESE sites http://momsonthego1.blogspot.com/2009/10/canadian-coupon-websites.html
Found that we did not buy enough milk or pop we ran out part way through the week
Plan is to shop every weekend during the weekend sales
Ultimate goal is to spend $100/ wk for a family of 4
Diapers, wipes, cleaners, shampoo, razors, 4 deoderants, 6 cling wraps, Epsom salts for mister, pop, 13 boxes of cereal, spaghetti sauce, hamburger meat, pizza meats, pizza mix, 3 bottles of Motrin, baby mum mums, 3 packs hot dogs, lettuce, Pringles, Doritos, shake n bake, mozza cheese,
Used $88.56 in coupons
This week I was very impressed that I only went $6.36 over my budget and managed to include the formula ($22.00) and some unexpected stuff
This weeks goals are to use some of the food on the bottom of the freezer before it goes bad and to not shop between now and next weekend
2- Bread, 100 paper plates, Baby formula, kinder surprise, Pork chops, steaks, 2 sour cream, 10 Mr. Noodle, 5 bathroom tissue, 3 glad wrap, 2 boxes kellogs bars, 2 packs paper towel, 6 – 6 packs pop, 4 L Milk, pine apple, chips, frozen veggies, carrots, potatoes, cucumber, block cheese, can tomatoes, egos, salsa, green pepper
Used 18.00 in coupons
Shopped some sales and used a $10.00 off coupon
Yahtzee, 2 games ( birthday presents)
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Today I had to run into Red Deer to pick up some of my books for college ( start in 2 weeks ) so I decided to stop by London Drugs for a quick peak. Catelli Healthy Harvest Pasta with Omega 3 was on sale for $1.49 each regular price $2.69 each. Well I also had multiple coupons for Healthy Harvest Pasta so I ended up grabbing 5 boxes of pasta and my grand total was $0.00. Now that is what I call a sale :)